Lacey Louwagie's Reviews > Taking Charge of Your Fertility: The Definitive Guide to Natural Birth Control, Pregnancy Achievement, and Reproductive Health

Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler

May 18, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction, self-help
Read from May 18 to August 21, 2012

It's rare for me to give a book five stars, but there's very little to criticize about this one. Although some parts of the book are more relevant to me at this point in my life, I appreciate the fact that it's one of the most comprehensive books about women's reproductive health available. And even though I went into it feeling like I knew more about my own body than average, I love the deeper, specific understanding that this book has given me, and I love the way it's helped me pay more attention to my body, be more forgiving of my body, and ultimately work with it and appreciate all it does.

For these reasons, I think it's worthwhile reading for all women, not just those hoping to avoid or achieve conception. The tone is accessible, positive, affirming, and friendly; the book is written with feminist sensibilities at its heart, but the approach is such that it wouldn't be off-putting to those who do not consider themselves feminist. Toni Weschler is respectful of the fact that women will use the information within the book for a variety of reasons, including for religious reasons (not my reasons, but definitely a large faction of those who use fertility awareness method).

Although the book may seem intimidating at first glance, almost half of it is appendices (I read all of them, too, but you wouldn't have to) and it's actually a rather "quick" read (I read most of it in the bathroom). I've been charting as instructed, and it's especially easy with the software online at tcoyf.com (which is my homepage now so I remember to update it daily). My one complaint is that the online presence of the book seems VERY focused on using FAM to achieve pregnancy, and it can be a little off-putting to be bombarded with photos of "successful" conceptions when one is using FAM for the opposite ends. But, the book itself takes a balanced approach to both purposes of FAM, always keeping in mind how certain rules apply to both segments.

I've already referred to this book several times as questions about my cycle have arisen, and I expect I'll continue to refer to it many times in the future. It's one of the first books I've bought "new" in a LONG time, and it was well worth the investment.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taking Charge of Your Fertility.

05/18/2012 "This one doesn't count against my "can't start a new book" rule because it's SO long that I'll still be reading it LONG after I'm caught up on my reviews."
05/30/2012 page 172
34.0% "tcoyf.com is my new favorite website."
06/19/2012 page 203
40.0% "I'm moving through this book more slowly now that it's about makin' babies rather than avoiding them. :p"
07/22/2012 page 307
60.0% "I'm actually "done" with this book. The rest is all appendixes. I'm gonna read them, too!"
12/26/2017 marked as: read