Bridgid's Reviews > Bringing Up Bébé: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting

Bringing Up Bébé by Pamela Druckerman

May 18, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: memoir, parenting
Read in April, 2012

Apparently I'm a sucker for the cross-cultural mommy wars genre so I couldn't resist this one. Pamela Druckerman is an American expat navigating motherhood in France. She makes many generalizations about American vs. French mothers, but her observations are based on Manhattanites or Parisians and I doubt their validity for Americans or French as a whole. I haven't observed permissive American mothers who consistently tolerate ill behaved children or push their kids into extensive Mandarin tutoring to be as widespread as Druckerman claims they are. Furthermore, French mothers seem a little self absorbed in their reluctance to play with their children on the play ground or to breastfeed. I am interested in the approach to training children to be patient by employing "the pause" and I greatly appreciated the respect the French children gain for their gastronomical heritage. I would have appreciated a few more recipes, especially for vegetable dishes. This was a quick little read, a travel memoir crossed with parenting memoir, and much better written than Amy's Chua notorious book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bringing Up Bébé.