Siew's Reviews > Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity, and Poverty

Why Nations Fail by Daron Acemoğlu

May 18, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from May 18 to June 05, 2012

Such an insightful and shocking book! The examples are very well-explained, and I truly enjoyed thinking and discussing the points raised in this book. Only if more people would read this book and understand that it is not for the lack of aid to poor countries, but the very political and economical structure of the country that makes it poor.

The whole inclusive and extractive political-economical standpoint is very interesting.

The only nitpick I would comment on: the book suffers from excessive repetition. Only if the writers of this book would take some lessons from Jonathan Haidt on how to structure a (non-fiction) book properly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Nations Fail.

03/23/2016 marked as: read

Jalen Anderson People stray away from non-fiction simply because of the writing exemplified in this book. I would read something by your recommended Jonathan Haidt but I stray far away from moral philosophers and psychologists. Their answers are purely anecdotal.

Farwa Khtana Actually I found that with a book this long, it was the repetition that acts helped me keep track of what the argument was. But I do see your point.