Anita Wagner Illig's Reviews > Drums of Autumn

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon

May 18, 2012

bookshelves: jamie-and-claire

Diana Gabaldon has written and continues to write a time travel/historical romance/epic that is so well researched as to make it impossible to put down. I've read/listened to all the books, each one a tome, up through the most current, An Echo in the Bone, and I'm anxiously awaiting the next release.

Gabaldon says that the research requires that it take about three years for her to write a book in the series and have published. These days she has also spun off the "Lord John" series, set in the 18th century. I read one of them and enjoyed it, but not nearly so much as the Outlander story about 20th century nurse, Claire, who steps through a ring of standing stones in Scotland and finds herself in the same place but 200 years in the past. That's where she meets her handsome highlander, Jamie Fraser, with whom she .... well, no spoilers, but you won't be sorry if you decide to read this enchanting story.

The recorded books are read by a fabulous narrator, Davina Porter. She really brings the story to life, with an amazing command of accents and voices which she uses to distinguish the characters from one another.

Although the romance aspect of this story is pretty hot, it surprises me that some here have labeled this as smut. Not that smut is bad, but it seems like a mischaracterization to me. There is just so, so much more to this epic story than that.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drums of Autumn.

04/18/2016 marked as: read