Guinevere Liddell's Reviews > The Golden Compass

The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman

May 18, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: childrens, fantasy, young-adult

A cute book about a little girl wrapped up in something much, much larger than her. The book starts off pretty slow with just too much unknown and learning about the world was kinda tedious until you put together the pieces. The second half is much better, if only for the addition of Iorek Brynnison, the badass armored bear. Cause...who doesn't think that's cool?
It was fun learning about the lore associated with daemons and the like (and frustrating to have the mysterious 'Dust' brought up constantly with little to no knowledge of it brought up till the very end) and I admired the child-like viewpoint that didn't seem too farfetched as children go. It was an interesting world and I liked trying to tie-together our world with it and appreciated the similarities or nods to other historical places or people.
Admittedly I was eager to get to the controversial anti-Church bit and, when it finally did at the end, I honestly appreciated it. It wasn't over the top, it was a sincere point about methodologies and how people, especially children, can be swayed or controlled. It was very interesting, especially in regards to it being the anti-thesis of the Chronicles of Narnia series which always did feel like it were cheating me in some way. This book hardly scrapes it and bluntly points out that the enemy is the Christian Church, a daring move I must say.
My personal religious views have nothing to do with my review of this what-so-ever. Just as an aside.
I did like it, though, and I'm eager to start the next book and carry on with the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Compass.

May 18, 2012 – Started Reading