Iron's Reviews > Highschool of the Dead, Band 1

Highschool of the Dead, Band 1 by Daisuke Sato

May 18, 2012

liked it

This review is for the whole series rather than just this issue (saves me having to write six of these) but overall I thought this series was alright.

The highlights in my opinion were that there were plenty of zombies (so if you came to the series for that then you won't be disappointed) as well as gore and hyper-kinectic fights (as well as an astonishing level of attention to detail when it comes to technical details of things such as firearms and economics). There are also quite a few interesting character moments and they do make sure that you like the heroes and want the villains to die in a fire (something that's very easy to get wrong).

The low points in my opinion were that there can be a lot of 'mood whiplash', a very serious and sad scene will be followed up almost immediately with breaking the 4th wall comedy or cheesecake shots (you could make a drinking game out of the number of panty shots there are), this brings me onto the fanservice. If you don't mind or enjoy fanservice then you'll probably be fine with this comic, if it's the sort of thing that bothers you then you'll probably find this to be an awkward read since they layer it on pretty damn thick (it seemed a bit weird to me that no-one in our main cast has a bra size under DD, remember that these are also meant to be High School students), it's taken to ridiculous extremes with the Nurse who's titanic breasts are the source of several jokes (and not one of them about back pain).

Most bothersome of the fanservice is a group bathing scene which comes completely the fuck out of nowhere, we go from the survivors showing relief and happiness at the end of one issue and go right onto all the girls together, naked in a steamy bathroom at the beginning of the next with no real explanation or introduction as to why (other than to get naked chicks soaping up each other's breasts into the comic of course).

The story also has a habit of getting somewhat melodramatic with a lot of lamenting about how 'the world will never be the same again' and other such things and it just began to drone on after a while (I also have to mention that the previous mood whiplash even applied to characters who frequently go from being moody and miserable to being happy and bubbley again in the space of a single panel).

Overall, this isn't a bad series by any extent but by the same token I wouldn't say it overly wonderful or brilliant. It's enjoyable but otherwise not remarkable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highschool of the Dead, Band 1.

Started Reading