Kathleen's Reviews > The Cowboy Who Came Calling

The Cowboy Who Came Calling by Linda Broday

bookshelves: western-romance
Recommended for: western romance readers, fans of Linda Broday

Bravo, Linda Broday, for not giving in to the temptation to wrap up the novel in a tidy little package by resorting to deux ex machina magic. To be true to the story, sometimes issues can't be resolved in a way that leaves everyone healthy, happy, and living under a rainbow. What a pleasant change of pace to see a romance author acknowledge that.

Two big issues that belabor the characters throughout the story conclude in less-than-perfect-for-the-characters yet fulfilling-for-readers ways. These characters haven't reached the end of their story; they've merely embarked on a new beginning that no doubt will continue to test them and draw them closer once they've left the stage.

I won't spoil the ending, but suffice it to say the hero and heroine ride off into the sunset knowing they can't fix some of the imperfections in their lives, but they'll make their marriage work. (That the hero and heroine marry is hardly a spoiler in a romance.) The suggestion that life and love aren't always perfect can be bittersweet, but in the case of THE COWBOY WHO CAME CALLING, the sweet outweighs the bitter. Romance fans won't be disappointed.

Heroine Glory Day is stronger than most, full of grit and determination in the face of difficulties that easily could destroy her and her family. Broday portrays Glory and her sisters with a deft hand, and I found myself hoping the two younger siblings will get novels of their own some day. Bratty youngest sister Patience, in particular, could be fascinating to watch.

A minor male character -- a friend of the hero's -- has "hero in search of his own romance" written all over him, as well. Perhaps Broday will plunk him down in the middle of an entanglement, too.

Hero Luke McClain is not quite an alpha and not quite a beta. He straddles a difficult spot on the fence between the two personality types, and he does it well. Half the fun of this book is watching Luke bumble his way through situations a typical alpha male would solve with a mere flex of his impressive pectorals. Luke keeps readers on their toes wondering what boneheaded move he'll make next.

My one criticism of THE COWBOY WHO CAME CALLING is this: In my opinion, Broday's strong, usually engaging voice sometimes gets in the way. Like me, Broday is a Texan. Texans speak a language all our own, full of euphemisms, colloquialisms, and colorful figurative phrases. All of those things give characters depth and personality, but when every character and the narrative overflow with colorful language, readers can become overwhelmed. "Texan-speak" didn't compromise my ability to enjoy the story, but its abundance did try my patience in spots.

All in all, though, THE COWBOY WHO CAME CALLING definitely is worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cowboy Who Came Calling.

May 15, 2012 – Started Reading