Mandee Jablonski's Reviews > Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading

Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading by Tommy Greenwald

May 18, 2012

Oh, Charlie Joe Jackson! You are a funny guy! I really enjoyed your guide to NOT reading!

What a great book! I love that it had elements of some of my favorite Middle Grade reads: The touching voice of The Wednesday Wars, the comedy of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, the silliness of Big Nate!

The advice is great...only read books with short chapters, reading won't help you succeed in life, never buy a book by someone whose name you can't pronounce (and many more awesome tips!). I also love your excellent taste in music, you keen observations of those around you: "Hurrican Eliza comin' in, the hottest hurricane in town" or "The think about dogs is, they pretty much reflect the mood in the house."

You are a smart guy, too, Charlie Joe. And I can't blame you for hating to read. Your dad really did ruin it for you when you were little. I did feel your pain! I, too, was jailed on a book-related infraction! I remember, with a shudder all these years later, being locked on the porch one Sunday afternoon and not being allowed to enter the house until I finished some Little House book that I TOTALLY HATED for a book report due Monday (I think I was allowed in to pee, but I'm not 100% sure).

But guess what! I love reading now! I even became a teacher so I could get others excited about good books! What do you think about that, Charlie Joe?

If you don't know Charlie Joe Jackson, you're going to want to meet him right away! I'm so ready for his next book, Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Extra Credit! September seems too far away!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Not Reading.

Lindsey Wednesday Wars! That's the other book it reminds me of. (Ahem, I mean, of which it reminds me.) Thank you!