Sophie's Reviews > Graceling

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

This review also appears on my blog.

Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

Graceling reminds me of an evolutionary theory we were taught in Biology called punctuated equilibrium. For those of you who were smart enough not to take biology, punctuated equilibrium is defined as periods of slow change followed by rapid spurts of events. The reason I compare the two is that Graceling has its own formula of punctuated equilibrium, in that it has long periods of boring description, followed by random spurts of activity. The good thing is that the spurts always took me by surprise. The bad thing is that I was bored in between them.

Many reviews I've seen describe Graceling as a wholly feminist novel, and I can see how it could be construed that way, through Katsa's resistance to anything remotely feminine. However, unlike some readers, I didn't find her annoying or too preachy. It's true that most of the male characters pale in comparison to Katsa's perfection in fighting, and that Katsa's character may be a little bit overdone. Nevertheless, I found it easy to like her, considering her position as the king's royal bully and her struggle to have control in an unstable kingdom.

The world-building is quite fascinating in this book. I don't read much high fantasy, but I liked the setting of the Seven Kingdoms. One thing I think is very well done is the concept of Graces that Cashore incorporates. It's an original idea, and the revelation of Katsa's Grace was surprising and intriguing. Also, I liked her relationship with Po, which developed slowly and reasonably. The realization that Katsa has with her feelings toward Po brings me back to the punctuated equilibrium theory in that it was dropped like a bomb and ruined all the slow development that had occurred in the beginning. Po was much more appealing than I gave him credit for, and what happens to him in the end tugged at my heartstrings, even though I'd already anticipated it. As for other characters, I liked Bitterblue's development, and I shall be reading her book. Although I want to see what happens to Randa, Cashore does a good job with resolving the fates of all the characters.

What bothered me most with this book is that some scenes are intense, which is great, but they also happen so randomly and suddenly that they almost have a dreamlike quality. The resolution at the climax took all of a couple sentences and left me disappointed. But I don't regret reading this, given that Cashore is not a bad writer, and some of the scenes were pretty awesome (mountain lions!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Graceling.

May 17, 2012 – Shelved
June 18, 2012 – Started Reading
June 18, 2012 –
page 128
27.18% "Despite Katsa's I-Live-To-Punch-In-Faces attitude, I still find her quite endearing, and her androphobia isn't as bad as some people made it sound (so far). Also, Po is more attractive than I thought he would be, heh."
June 20, 2012 –
page 335
71.13% "Still sad over Po. Crazy Katsa."
June 22, 2012 – Shelved as: be-still-my-ya-loving-heart
June 22, 2012 – Shelved as: badass-main-character
June 22, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy-pnr-supernatural
June 22, 2012 – Shelved as: fascinating-world-building
June 22, 2012 – Shelved as: is-it-over-yet
June 22, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by HC (new) - rated it 5 stars

HC You should read this ASAP!!! It's really good!!! :D

Sophie I know, I know! But I accidentally saw some spoilers, and now I'm scared D:

message 3: by HC (new) - rated it 5 stars