Heather Gadd's Reviews > The Apartment

The Apartment by K.L. Slater

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2020

Starting out, I was unsure about this book. The main character annoyed me with her constant self-doubt and insecurities, i.e. unnecessary justification for why she would allow her daughter screen time to give herself a break. Alas, this was a minor irritation and I just chalked it off to the specific character, not anything to do with the quality of the book, only my enjoyment.

Then there was some confusion on the part of the way my book was reading, and I believe it had to do with being a galley copy, not the story itself.

Once that was all sorted, the story successfully sucked me in and didn't let go until I "turned" the last page. It was an enjoyable read, albeit quick, and predictable. The parallel story that was being told made it easy to figure out what was happening in the meat of the story, however, that it doesn't mean there aren't unexpected twists.

I would classify this as an indulgent, weekend read, what I call my "comfort food" when it comes to books. The customary foundation, build, and inevitable climax are like a warm bowl of macaroni and cheese. Nothing mind shattering or complex, but absolutely delicious in its simplicity and familiarity.

Thanks to NetGalley for the complimentary copy in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Apartment.

May 1, 2020 – Started Reading