Megan's Reviews > Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas

May 17, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: owned
Read in February, 2012 — I own a copy

I don't even know how to start this review as I'm so flustered. I liked the first book in the series just fine and the second one was just okay. However, this book left me cold and, to be honest, quite angry. I see there was "controversy" over the phrase "nunga-nungas", but that seems like a trivial complaint compared to some of the other things in this book.

I was extremely saddened to see Georgia continue to call her friends "lezzies" as a derogatory term when she was annoyed with them or wanting to bother them. I was also bothered to see Georgia revel in having Jas be her "slavey girl" (though, really, Georgia was the one in the wrong and Jas was just trying to be nice so they could be friends again), and then have the gall to call her "uppity" when she started to fight back. Now, I understand that this is a British series, so perhaps that is why it is no big thing, but in America calling a "slave" "uppity", even in a joking sense, is extremely loaded. It's one of those things you just don't say if you have any good sense. Outside of that, Georgia is absolutely HORRIBLE to her friends. I mean, I still have no idea why her friends want anything to do with her as she is bossy, self-centered, mean-spirited, spiteful, and just generally horrendous. She was bratty, but not nearly this insufferable in the first two books. It almost felt like she was a different person! (And judging by the reviews on Amazon for this entry in the series, this was a common complaint.)

I haven't read the latter books, so I have no idea if all of this bad behavior is just a way for Rennison to show how crappy Georgia is and it's a set up to move her past that in future books. I would surely hope so as I'd be appalled if all of Georgia's bad behavior was just laughed off. I mean, we're supposed to be sympathetic to Georgia since she is the main character, and it seems that most people are sympathetic to her. However, if my daughter ever were to talk or act like that, it wouldn't be tolerated. So, again, I truly hope it is a way for Rennison to set up Georgia growing up and getting over herself.

Outside of that, the characters and the story have fallen incredibly flat. There is no growth or forward movement to the story and that doesn't compel me to keep on reading the series. I was so tired of reading -osity at the end of every other word. It started to feel too gimmicky and not realistic. I give this book two stars out of five. Obviously, I'm in my twenties, so out of the age group to really enjoy this series (though I did enjoy it when I was a teenager), but I didn't want to give it one star out of sheer optimism that this is just setting up something else. Unless you are a total completionist, if you like this series I'd suggest skipping this one and reading a summary to stay up to date before going on to the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas.