Angela M's Reviews > The Florios of Sicily

The Florios of Sicily by Stefania Auci

bookshelves: edelweiss-reviews

3.75 stars.
This historical fiction work is a portrayal of a real Italian family who went from having nothing to becoming rich and influential, reflecting a piece of Sicily’s history and spanning decades from 1799 - 1868. Leaving a small village in Calabria to the city life in Palermo, Sicily, Paolo, his wife Giuseppina, and his brother Ignazio begin their family’s legacy. This is a true rags to riches story as they move over the years from poverty to riches to power. From selling spices to apothecary to shipping and wine and more, this family firmly forges their place in Sicilian history. The novel does more than reflect the history, though. It has complex characters and relationships - between husbands and wives, fathers and their children, mothers and their sons, between brothers. I was particularly struck by the strength of the women who had to take their subservient place to their husbands, dictated by the time and society. Sometimes they would have none of it and stood up for themselves when it wasn’t easy to do so.

It was not quite a solid four stars because I found it a bit slow until Vincenzo, Paola and Giuseppina’s son comes of age. It is through his drive, ambition and pride that the business and the family legacy take hold, bolstered by the insight and love of his Uncle Ignazio. Yet, I thought it was worth reading and rounding up to four stars.

I received a copy of this book from HarperVia through Edelweiss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Florios of Sicily.

May 2, 2020 – Shelved
May 2, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
May 11, 2020 – Started Reading
May 15, 2020 – Shelved as: edelweiss-reviews
May 15, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Wonderful review, Angela!

Angela M Thanks, Brenda.

Richard (on hiatus) Lovely location even if it was a little uneven ....... enjoyed your review Angela :)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader I’ve been curious about this one, Angela, and enjoyed reading your thoughts. Do you think you’ll continue on with the series?

Angela M Richard , thanks very much.

Angela M Jennifer , thanks. I think I will . The story of the family is definitely an interesting one .

message 7: by Elyse (new)

Elyse  Walters Great review Angela. 🥰

Angela M Thanks very much, Elyse!

message 9: by Fran (new)

Fran Wonderful review, Angela!

Angela M Thanks, Fran!

message 11: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Nice review Angela!

message 12: by Cheri (new)

Cheri Excellent review, Angela! I'm intrigued, so I requested my library add this one, so I'm hoping they do!

Angela M Susanne and Cheri , thanks so much . Cheri, I’ll be watching for your thoughts.

Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Lovely review Angela! Hope you are doing well! ❤️

Angela M Hi Lindsay! Thanks . Hanging in there and trying to stay safe . Hope you are too !

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen Terrific review, Angela. I’m sitting on the fence for this one

Angela M Thanks, Jen ! I think it was a little uneven , but still interesting.

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie Excellent review, Angela!! 💖

message 19: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!!

message 20: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth Awesome review, Angela! ❤

Angela M Julie, Deanna and Mary Beth, thanks very much !

message 22: by Antoinette (new)

Antoinette Enjoyed your review, Angela!

message 23: by JanB (new)

JanB I love a story that highlights women who won’t tolerate the status quo. Sorry it was a bit slow in places but glad you enjoyed it anyway. Terrific review Angela!

message 24: by Laysee (new)

Laysee A bit of history in an Italian city; familial ties from rags to riches - sound like the ingredients of a good story, even if not wholly satisfying. Great review, Angela.

Angela M Antoinette, Jan and Laysee , thanks all !