karl and mandy brown's Reviews > Twitter for Good: Change the World One Tweet at a Time

Twitter for Good by Claire Díaz-Ortiz

2099012
May 16, 2012

bookshelves: karl

The high school robotics team I coach started using Twitter more frequently so that supporters of the team could stay involved. This was especially true for the regional competition in late March, when team members' extended family were out of town. But, Twitter seems to have more potential for good than just broadcasting updates during the build season and competition. Other FRC teams are on Twitter, as well as sponsors. With this in mind, as Mandy and I were browsing in Barnes and Noble one day, I noticed Twitter for Good by Claire Diaz-Ortiz on the shelf and thought it might help. Twitter for Good provides a framework for using Twitter and tips for being effective.

Diaz-Ortiz introduces the TWEET model as a framework for using Twitter. Target refers to the goal of one's account (personal, information, fund-raising, or a combination). Write refers to creating content. Engage refers to tools for interacting with the Twitter community. Explore involves interacting with the Twitter community. And Track involves objectively measuring the effectiveness of one's Twitter account.

Like the other books I've reviewed, it doesn't meet the academic rigors I typically subject to books. The distinction between Engage and Explore was never very clear to me. The words felt too much like they were contrived for the sake of the acronym. Likewise, there were no cohorts using the TWEET method and results discussed. Coming from an employee of Twitter, the book is also biased favorably towards Twitter and therefore doesn't ponder on reasons not to use Twitter.

Nonetheless, Twitter for Good is chalk-full of case study examples of how different people and organizations have used various aspects of the TWEET framework (unfortunately, some of those are fictional, but oh well). There are references to online resources at twitter4good.com. And, I like the list of measures one can use for tracking one's account.

Helpful? Overall, I would say yes. It gave me new ideas for how to use Twitter effectively: how to reach out to other teams, sponsors, and the community. Next steps for me are to refine my plan and goals for the team's Twitter account and then engage/explore!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Twitter for Good.

May 16, 2012 – Shelved
May 16, 2012 – Shelved as: karl
May 28, 2012 – Started Reading
June 10, 2012 –
page 75
36.41% "Diaz Ortiz started out telling the reader what she was going to say. Finally got to the parts where she's actually saying something. Good tips, good tips."
June 14, 2012 –
page 117
56.8% "definitely encouraging me to sign up with my own twitter account, and good tips for engaging with the twitter community. maybe too verbose at times, but tolerable."
June 21, 2012 –
page 161
78.16% "Signed up @kerbrownstein. Still can't tell what the difference is between "engage" and "explore" in the author's T.W.E.E.T. model. But the Track chapter seemed to have good tips for tracking effectiveness."
June 26, 2012 – Finished Reading