Penny's Reviews > This Side of Paradise

This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald

4199302
May 16, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Side of Paradise.

Quotes Penny Liked

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I don't want to repeat my innocence. I want the pleasure of losing it again.”

“Life cracked like ice!”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“It was always the becoming he dreamed of, never the being.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“When Vanity kissed Vanity, a hundred happy Junes ago, he pondered o'er her breathlessly, and, that all men might ever know, he rhymed her eyes with life and death:
"Thru Time I'll save my love!" he said. . . yet Beauty vanished with his breath, and, with her lovers, she was dead. . .
-Ever his wit and not her eyes, ever his art and not her hair:
"Who'd learn a trick in rhyme, be wise and pause before his sonnet there". . . So all my words, however true, might sing you to a thousandth June, and no one ever know that you were Beauty for an afternoon.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I'm not sentimental--I'm as romantic as you are. The idea, you know,
is that the sentimental person thinks things will last--the romantic
person has a desperate confidence that they won't.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“First, he realized that the sea was blue and that there was an enormous
quantity of it, and that it roared and roared-really all the banalities
about the ocean that one could realize, but if any one had told him then
that these things were banalities, he would have gaped in wonder.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“There was no God in his heart, he knew; his ideas were still in riot;
there was ever the pain of memory; the regret for his lost youth-yet the
waters of disillusion had left a deposit on his soul, responsibility and a
love of life, the faint stirring of old ambitions and unrealized
dreams......
And he could not tell why the struggle was worth while, why he had
determined to use to the utmost himself and his heritage from the
personalities he had passed...
He stretched out his arms to the crystalline, radiant sky.
I know myself," he cried, "but that is all.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I hope something happens. I'm restless as the devil and have a horror of getting fat or falling in love and growing domestic.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“There is a moment—Oh, just before the first kiss, a whispered word—something that makes it worth while.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“They slipped briskly into an intimacy from which they never recovered.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“Many nights he lay there dreaming awake of secret cafés in Mont Marte, where ivory women delved in romantic mysteries with diplomats and soldiers of fortune, while orchestras played Hungarian waltzes and the air was thick and exotic with intrigue and moonlight and adventure.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“The grass is full of ghosts tonight.' 'The whole campus is alive with them.' They paused by Little and watched the moon rise, to make silver of the slate roof of Dodd and blue the rustling trees. 'You know,' whispered Tom, 'what we feel now is the sense of all the gorgeous youth that has rioted through here in two hundred years.' ...
And what we leave here is more than class; it's the whole heritage of youth. We're just one generation-- we're breaking all the links that seemed to bind us her to top-booted and high-stocked generations. We've walked arm and arm with Burr and Light-Horse Harry Lee through half these deep-blue nights.' 'That's what they are,' Tom tangented off, 'deep-blue-- a bit of color would spoil them, make them exotic.' Spries, against a sky that's a promise of dawn, and blue light on the slate roofs-- it hurts... rather--' 'Good-by, Aaron Burr,' Amory called toward deserted Nassau Hall, 'you and I knew strange corners of life.”

“You'll find another.'
God! Banish the thought. Why don't you tell me that 'if the girl had been worth having she'd have waited for you'? No, sir, the girl really worth having won't wait for anybody.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“Youth is like having a big plate of candy. Sentimentalists think they want to be in the pure, simple state they were in before they ate the candy. They don't. They just want the fun of eating it all over again.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“You're not sorry to go, of course. With people like us our home is where we are not... No one person in the world is necessary to you or to me.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“He was resentful against all those in authority over him, and this, combined with a lazy indifference toward his work, exasperated every master in school. He grew discouraged and imagined himself a pariah; took to sulking in corners and reading after lights. With a dread of being alone he attached a few friends, but since they were not among the elite of the school, he used them simply as mirrors of himself, audiences before which he might do that posing absolutely essential to him. He was unbearably lonely, desperately unhappy.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“I'm a cynical idealist.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“The unwelcome November rain had perversely stolen the day's last hour and pawned it with that ancient fence, the night.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“Don't let yourself feel worthless: often through life you will really be at your worst when you seem to think best of yourself; and don't worry about losing your "personality," as you persist in calling it: at fifteen you had the radiance of early morning, at twenty you will begin to have the melancholy brilliance of the moon, and when you are my age you will give out, as I do, the genial golden warmth of 4 p.m.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“Those days are over. I have to be won all over again every time you see me.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“We can't possibly have a summer love. So many people have tried that the name's become proverbial. Summer is only the unfulfilled promise of spring, a charlatan in place of the warm balmy nights I dream of in April. It's a sad season of life without growth...It has no day.”

F. Scott Fitzgerald
“my imagination persisted in sticking horrors into the dark- so I stuck my imagination into the dark instead, and let it look out at me.”