Penelope's Reviews > Talented

Talented by Sophie  Davis

May 16, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-books

I wasn't sure what to expect when I began reading this, but knew that with a character named Talia (my sister's name), and one named Penelope (my name), I just had to find out what was in these pages. So I joined the blog tour. Go figure. :)

Talia Lyons is a girl who I can support, even if I was annoyed with her at times for her immature behavior. She faces some tough challenges in this book, but used her super cool super ability to help her through them. The other characters are interesting and love-able, especially in the case of one certain guy who shall remain unnamed, so I don't spoil anything. Sophie Davis created a cast of characters who work well together, and who compliment each other on the page. I really enjoyed reading about them.

What I didn't like, was that there were times when Talia seemed to have double-standards. This didn't happen often but when it did, it was noticeable. In one part, she gets annoyed that her boyfriend because he doesn't want her to go into the city and leave him with nothing to do for the day, but then gets annoyed that very night when he has made plans without her and leaves to go to the city, leaving her alone with nothing to do for the rest of the night. Double-standards! I was also sad to see that story doesn't really have an ending--relationship issues are not tied up, and the mission of the story is not completed. It's more of a "to be continued" ending, which is something that I hate to come across.
Also noticeable, are the amount of grammatical and spelling errors in the book, which brought me out of the story pretty often. But that may just be an issue with the copy I received for review.

With these things taken into account, I still think this is a fun and adventurous story. I was invested in Talia's well-being, and I was so angry anytime she was mistreated. The story does a little exploring into relationships, and it totally gets it right. That alone is amazing. And Talia gets to do some pretty cool stuff. If you like adventures, this one's for you!

This review was originally published on my blog: The Reading Fever.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of Reading Addiction Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by the author. Although payment may have been received by Reading Addiction Blog Tours, no payment was received by me in exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talented.