Vonia's Reviews > The End of Mr. Y

The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas

5204784
May 16, 2012

bookshelves: the-all-time-favorites, psychological-thriller, philosophy, technology, cryptology

Allright... Where do I even begin?????....
This is probably the best book I can think of to describe a mind &*@!... really. The premise is genius... the scientific information is incredibly insightful... (Was she a former scientist?)... the complexity was astonishing.
This is quite an understatement, as the multitude of layers in the story is perplexing... but, it is basically about the main character, Ariel's adventure in a fourth dimension called the "Troposphere" in which she can enter others' heads & theoretically change their thinking, actions, etc. She enters their heads through "doorways" that appear before her... the "Troposphere" is complete with a "console" (Think Scott Pilgrim-esque), exploration of morality, life, death, religion (The DaVinci Code, but done the correct way), Genius, well-thought layers of thinking, encompassing the humanities, the social sciences, & the hard sciences (References include Darwin, Einstein, Socrates, etc., as well as suspense & adventure that really makes you think & question long established theories in your life.
I believe the best way to describe this amazing book is "Inception" with "Being John Malcovich", including a dash of "The Matrix"... Quantum Physics, Deconstructionist Theory, Science Fiction, Philosophy, Psychological intrigue.... the recipe for an amazing adventure... & one of the only books I can say with confidence truly transported me to another place, where I literally lost track of time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Mr. Y.

Started Reading