C.G. Drews's Reviews > Worse Things

Worse Things by Sally Murphy

bookshelves: middle-grade, read-2020

This was a really quick read (told in verse!) about three kids who are struggling with feeling alienated in their own lives. I loved the voice and style of it, the verse just gave the whole book an aching loneliness, so you could really feel for the kids. I also like how it is a gentle nudge for kids to remember to reach out, to try again, to look for the lonesome ones in their school and think about others.

Blake breaks his arm in football practise and, as he can't play anymore, he feels ostracised and forgotten by his friends. Without football, he doesn't feel like he has an identity.
Jolene is supposed to be obsessed with hockey, but she really hates it. Her mum is super pushy and her dad is always away, and Jolene just wants to read.
Amed is new to Australia after being raised in a refugee camp. He's living with an estranged aunt and he can barely speak the language. All he does is watch, waiting and hoping someone will reach out to him.

I did feel like the book is so short and quick, it was hard to get to know all the kids. They were mostly defined by their one character trait. But I think the point of the book was the message? Reach out. Don't let people hurt alone.

A good one for a middle-grade audience and reluctant readers since it's short and accessible.

thanks to Walker Books for the ARC

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Worse Things.

April 30, 2020 – Started Reading