Julie Davis's Reviews > The Killer Angels

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

May 16, 2012

bookshelves: a-good-story-is-hard-to-find-podcas
Read in June, 2012

Good Story #36. Scott learns that Texas is it's own direction, and Julie changes her opinion about Robert E. Lee. Neither is certain where in the timeline to find Lincoln's vampire slaying.

=====

Against all odds I loved this book. I wanted both sides to win. This despite being initially unnerved to see maps when I opened it. Maps with arrows indicating troop movements hither and thither around Gettysburg.

I do not care about maps in books. Even for Lord of the Rings I ignored the maps. I hasten to add that I actually love real maps ... on a wall, in an art book, on a blog. I just do not want to have to make my mental image when reading have to conform to the reality of a map.

Feeling brave despite my unnerving experience I soldiered on. (ha!) I would like everyone to note that my reading of Coraline (for both Good Story and also SFFaudio) was not in vain. Bravery consists in keeping going when one is afraid (or even merely unnerved).

It only took reading the descriptions of the leaders to begin re-embracing the book. I now have read the first chapter and am captivated. Who knew?

I am looking forward to this experience in Gettysburg, which could hardly be more appropriate in terms of such real life experiences as summer vacations. (Not that I'm going on vacation or would head for Gettysburg deliberately if I were ... but it is summer ... and there are such things as theme here ... so this is our summer theme.)

FINAL
Simply an amazing book in communicating the humanity, the flaws, the errors, and the brotherhood and love of these men ... and the tragedy of the battle. I now have a small crush on General Longstreet. Really looking forward to discussing this in a few days at A Good Story is Hard to Find.

I also wonder how the son's books stack up against this one, as I know there wound up being a trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Killer Angels.

06/05/2012 page 75
21.0% "I really appreciate the way this book shows me that affection was possible between people fighting on opposite sides of the war. Also, it makes me care about the people on both sides ... which is also valuable. Except that it invests me with a certain degree of anxiety over those on the losing side. Because we all know how this one is going to turn out. It is Gettysburg after all. And .. I'm using the maps! YAY!" 3 comments
06/08/2012 page 280
79.0% "Probably further along than that because I just have a section or so to go to the end of the battle. Wow. Blown away. The characterizations are great. I want both sides to win. The battle descriptions are such (Chamberlain's mostly I think) that I was actually breathless after reading about holding that flank and not leaving no matter what. I got done with that, had to put the book down and just ... breathe."
02/24/2016 marked as: read