Laura Rittenhouse's Reviews > My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

May 15, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

This book has an interesting premise; a young girl develops leukaemia and her parents decide to go through IVF to create child who is a perfect genetic match for her. Their plan is to use the umbilical cord to donate stem cells to their sick daughter.

Jump forward a few years and this one-off donation has become a constant gift of blood, bone marrow and soon, a kidney.

This is a serious minefield of moral conundrums. Ms Picoult handles the problem well and builds a believable story around this family drama.

I loved it at the beginning but tired a bit of it by the end. I am not sure why but I think it becomes too disjointed - or at least the bouncing around started to bother me. The book is told in the first person chapter-by-chapter. Each chapter is told from a different person's point of view. The main characters - both parents and both daughters - get most of the book but there is the odd person who gets one or two chapters and I'm not sure that's helpful. It also moves constantly between the present and the past with me losing track of flashbacks and just wishing events would be told instead of drip fed. I assume the author was trying to add a sense of suspense but, for me, it was too obvious and borderline irritating. Which is a shame because it's a great story with a lot of depth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Sister's Keeper.