Seth Meyers's Reviews > The Holy War: Annotated Companion to the Pilgrim's Progess

The Holy War by John Bunyan

Perhaps the greatest book ever written outside the Bible.

For its glorious and compelling presentation of Christ as well as intensity that comes straight from Scripture, this book deserves more honor than Pilgrim's Progress.

Plot:
1. Diabolos conquers the town.
2. Emmanuel takes it back.
3. The town falls back into sin.
4. Diabolos takes it again.
5. Emmanuel takes it back.
6. Diabolos tries twice more and fails.

Quotes:
"For here lay the excellent wisdom of him that builded Mansoul, that the walls could never be broken down, nor hurt, by the most mighty adverse potentate, unless the towns-men gave consent thereto." 9 compare with page 96, "But after three or four notable charges by the Prince, and his noble captains, Eargate was broken open, and the bars and bolts wherewith it was used to be fast shut up against the Prince, was broken into a thousand pieces."

Captain Conviction says to the town: "Consider if it be not amazing grace that Shaddai should so humble himself as he doth. ... Has he that need of you, that we are sure you have of him?" 51

"Mr. Carnal Security did after all this mercy bestowed on this corporation, bring the town of Mansoul into great and grievous slavery and bondage." 163

Mr. Godly fear said, "Though several of their petitions should be answered with nought but silence or rebuke: For it is the way of the wise Shaddai to make men wait and to exercise patience and it should be the way of them in want, to be willing to stay his leisure." 174

"Then they took courage, and sent again, and again, and again, and again; for there was not now one day, nor an hour that went over Mansoul's head, wherein a man might not have met upon the road one or other riding post, sounding the horn from Mansoul to the Court of the King Shaddai." 174

Prince Emanuel: "Nothing can hurt thee but sin; nothing can grieve me but sin; nothing can make thee base before thy foes but sin: Take heed of sin, my Mansoul." 264

"And dost thou know why I at first, and do still suffer Diabolonians to dwell in thy walls, O Mansoul? It is to keep thee wakening, to try thy love, to make thee watchful, and to cause thee yet to prize my noble captains, their soldiers, and my mercy." 265

See full review at Son of Carey.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Holy War.

Started Reading