Mary-Terese's Reviews > The Women of the Copper Country

The Women of the Copper Country by Mary Doria Russell

Fascinating glimpse into a little-known -- at least to me -- part of labor history, and Michigan history, and American history. If you're a fan of Elizabeth Gaskell, this fictional riff on a 1913 miners' strike in the UP will be right up your alley. They even mention Mary Barton at one point. In a similar way, this brings the struggles and triumphs of working people, and the incredibly unjust machinations of the moneyed and connected into sharp and personal focus.

It's written in present tense, which at first distanced me. I felt a sense of cynicism and fatalism or something that almost turned me off...but I kept coming back to it, to read a few pages more, and a few pages more... and then the style paid off hugely. I felt inside of a complex and somehow even-handed narrative that was exactly right for the story and the characters. It left me wanting to learn more about the actual history and also read more of this writer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Women of the Copper Country.

April 28, 2020 – Started Reading