Melissa Frye's Reviews > If I Stay

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

bookshelves: 2012

Reviews of this book contained words like “beautiful” and “poignant.” The market is saturated with paranormal and dark subject matter to the point where I want to distance myself from it. Something about If I Stay called to me.
In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen ­year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces- to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heartwrenchingly beautiful, Mia's story will stay with you for a long, long time.

Beautiful is an apt description. Tragic, heartbreaking, moving and inspiring are also good adjectives to describe this story. Gayle Forman expertly crafted the characters and from the first page, it’s like stepping into a world in which you are already comfortable.

I read this one in just a few hours; putting it down was not an option. It made me laugh. It made me cry. I caught my breath. When I read the last words, I felt bereft; it ended too abruptly. After digesting the story I realized there was no other way for it to end. Perfection.

I struggled between giving this one three or four stars. I liked it a lot, but probably won’t have the desire to read it again. If you like emotional stories with paranormal elements, you’ll love this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If I Stay.

Quotes Melissa Liked

Gayle Forman
“I realize now that dying is easy. Living is hard.”
Gayle Forman, If I Stay

Gayle Forman
“Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you.”
Gayle Forman, If I Stay