Tara's Reviews > The Guinevere Deception

The Guinevere Deception by Kiersten White

liked it
bookshelves: owlcrate, young-adult

I wanted to love this book. I really like Paranormalcy and hoped i would continue to love White’s writing.

I was able to like her world building... this Camelot was a really interesting reimagining. I was able to visualize it and she did a nice job with telling the story so that i could imagine the way it worked.

Where she lost me was in the characters. I found Guinevere and Mordred to be intriguing characters. The green knight was also a fun mystery to see unraveled. The characters’ interactions were less interesting. I found this retelling lost some of it’s magic by losing the romance part of the story. There is no sexual tension anywhere.

I also found the pacing a bit off. I felt the story stagnated a good bit. I would get very into one chapter and then the next two i would lose my interest. This made finishing the book almost a chore for me. Thankfully the story would pick up the pace again every few chapters so i didn’t end up abandoning it.

In the end, i will say it is ok. It has some nice girl power moments, it is an inventive retelling... but if you are looking for romance... may want to skip it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guinevere Deception.

April 27, 2020 – Started Reading