Sarah Northwood's Reviews > 2000 Tunes

2000 Tunes by Karl Drinkwater

Read 2 times. Last read April 24, 2020 to April 27, 2020.

It would be easy to consider this novel a romance, it certainly has all the best elements of one. The will they won’t they scenarios and the draw of life pulling them apart and together for example. But this really doesn’t do the book justice. The characters are beautifully layered and flawed, certainly not your usual romantic heroes that you would expect. There is a wonderful depth to them that the author has created as well as growth through the story, which doesn’t culminate until the end. I found myself flipping through those last pages to get that satisfying conclusion I hoped was coming. It was not disappointing! But in equal measure this story is a literary work, utilising nostalgia and music from Manchester as a main character in the novel. Leading us through the arc of the character driven story with a fresh tune in every chapter. I must admit to being nervous about this element when I first saw the book, mainly because I worried the book might be stuffy or difficult to follow because of this. Instead it only added a beautiful flavour and gave it a personal touch I hadn’t expected. Add to this the wonderful readability and you have a story that I highly recommend.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 2000 Tunes.

Finished Reading