Kirsten Macdonald's Reviews > A Painted House

F 50x66
May 15, 2012

Read in April, 2012

A Painted House

I chose the book “A Painted House” by John Grisham, because I was interested to experience John Grisham’s writing outside of his comfort zone. I knew he was a phenomenal writer in the justice system area, because I have read “A Time to Kill” and I was familiar with all his other books that are mostly all about lawyers, courts cases etc which made me very intrigued to see if his writing in this new book was up to my standards.

The main character, Luke Chandler is a seven year old boy who is experiencing things no boy of seven should have any idea about. Luke’s goal in life is the same as any other seven year old boys would be, to play baseball for the cardinals. The theme of the book is basically about growing up and how fast Luke has had to. He experienced so much in the matter of months that would transform a young boy’s brain from fun loving and sensitive to curious, insightful and serious. The book is all about the things that change Luke, and his transition out of his childish mind.

Not only was I completely surprised that Grisham was capable of writing about things other than mistrials and lawyers but I was also very surprised that he did a good job letting the story unravel. The story was a little slow at first but I was entertained throughout the whole thing. I appreciated the amount of detail he put into explaining things, because if he hadn’t then the story wouldn’t have been as easy to read. I flowed through the book without a confused or mistaken thought. I didn’t expect a thing and around every corner it was like there was something else for the Chandlers to worry about. A new problem, a new adventure or another entertaining detail that was always able to hold my attention. Although the ending left me wanting more, overall I thought the book was great, I loved it and it made me respect Grisham even more for doing such a great job on a book I would never have thought he could write.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Painted House.