Kate's Reviews > The Grimm Legacy

The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman

May 15, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, age-middlegrade, age-ya, fairytales, teen-book-club
Read from May 14 to 17, 2012

Elizabeth is just your average girl with two stepsisters and an evil stepmother when she does a report on the Brother Grimm for history class. This leads to her teacher recommending her to work at a special library that circulates interesting items rather than books. Aside from lending things like Marie Antoinette's wig, Elizabeth finds that there is a special collection for items collected by the Brothers Grimm... items that are magical. Unfortunately, someone has been stealing items from the Grimm Collection. With her coworkers Anjuli, Marc, and Aaron, Elizabeth is going to figure out who the culprit is.

This book was a lot of fun. Elizabeth is a plucky heroine with a good sense of humor, and each of the other characters had their own quirks. I got some of the adult characters confused and for me the mystery was a bit muddled especially with all the red herrings, but it was fun to read about the magical items and how using them might go wrong. I was very curious about some of the other collections. The Gibson and Wells (after William Gibson and H.G. Wells) collections were discussed, but there was a mention of a Lovecraft collection I would have loved to read more about! Of course, as a librarian, I enjoyed the idea that libraries of such things exist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grimm Legacy.