C.G. Drews's Reviews > More than Marmalade: Michael Bond and the Story of Paddington Bear

More than Marmalade by Rosanne Tolin

bookshelves: non-fiction, read-2020

Yes this is all about THE Paddington Bear who is such a famous worldwide household name, I was really keen to read about how this legendary bear came to be and what inspired the author! (Fun fact: the author is Michael Bond not James Bond and confusing the two really doesn't help yourself. Not that I would ever. ) This is a brief history of both Michael Bond's life and Paddington's and it's simple and sweet, so perfect for kids to read too.

The story of Paddington Bear first came into existence in 1956 when Michael Bond bought a lonely small stuffed bear from a toy store. I love reading Origin Stories, especially for authors and famous books. Paddington is such an iconic little bear, I don't even remember learning about Paddington -- he just always WAS. I remember reading one or two of the books growing up and that we had one of the toy Paddingtons (in his little boots and hat and everything!), but reading this biography does make me want to go search out the originals again. Especially knowing Michael Bond wrote over 150 of these adventures. Like that's a LOT. He saw his bear was so loved, and helped so many children (and adults) that he couldn't abandon it. He was writing Paddington literally right up until he passed about in 2017, at 91 years old.

My favourite parts were learning about Michael himself, especially his workaholic tendencies (as an author I, um, relate...) and the sheer amount of rejections he got just trying to make it as an author! He starting writing about Paddington basically on accident too. It's also just encouraging knowing even the most famous world-changing authors struggled to start too.

Definitely pick up More Than Marmalade if you're looking for a lovely-written book about the life of Michael Bond and how Paddington came to be! It's definitely great for younger audiences and easy to read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More than Marmalade.

April 26, 2020 – Started Reading