Kallen Kentner's Reviews > Alanna: The First Adventure

Alanna by Tamora Pierce

May 14, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy-world, fantasy, fiction, my-no-stress-books, re-read, young-adult
Read from May 14 to 15, 2012 — I own a copy

The Song of the Lioness series was a beloved favorite of mine when I was young. From Elementary through middle school, they were cherished and re-read. My current copy of the first book has been read so many times, the spine is split and the it is in 3 separate pieces.

Because of this nostalgic feeling for them, it is hard to review any of the series with an impartial look. However, I would recommend these to young girls to read about one of the feistiest, red-haired heroines ever to grace the pages of a book. When I was younger, I was always inspired by her courage and unyielding determination.

Because of my fond memories of this series, and of this book, I have to rate it as a 5-star novel. This is not great literature, and perhaps not the best YA book every written. However, it is an imaginative adventure and considering the influence it had on me, it gets 5 stars.

This book also deals with issues of growing up very well, in my opinion. Being a teenage girl is hard enough without also training to be a knight!

Anyway, like a Disney movie or a cup of cocoa, I now find these books relaxing and fun. Its a comfort read for me.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alanna.

05/14 page 135
63.0% "I have to catch up on my reading challenge and since these books are early young adult favorites of mine, it only felt right that I should re-read and review them."
01/27 marked as: read