Lisa Kissane's Reviews > The Light We Lost

The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo

liked it
bookshelves: 2020

I devoured this book in a few days, but still felt unable to give it more than three stars. The characters were well portrayed but difficult to like - their decisions and behaviours were hard to stomach at times and I found myself frustrated at them rather than empathetic.

The story is told in the rarely seen second person which I found strange at first, but it was the right choice and once I had gotten used to it, I quite enjoyed the stray from the norm. There were some incongruities in the book which distracted me to the point that I struggled to 'believe' the story (in particular, Facebook was referenced multiple times in 2003 and 2004. It existed then, but not at all in the way it is represented). It's small inconsistencies like this that can detract from the story and, sadly, that's what happened here for me.

It's also important here to give a trigger warning - for anyone struggling with childlessness or infertility, please carefully consider whether you should read this book as it contains themes and topics that may be difficult.

However, despite these niggles, I did enjoy the book. The way it drew me in and kept me coming back for more was impressive, and I was desperate to find out what would happen next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Light We Lost.

April 25, 2020 – Shelved