Anjanette Barr's Reviews > Glamorous Illusions

Glamorous Illusions by Lisa Tawn Bergren

May 14, 2012

Read from May 14 to 17, 2012 — I own a copy

Ya know, I worried in the first chapter that I wasn’t going to like this book. I had a hard time getting a feel for the time and place. I worried that the characters and dialog weren’t going to be adequate to pull me INTO 1913 and I was going to be bored.

Thing is, I COULD NOT put it down. Even if I wasn’t positive I was going to love the book, the pictures she painted in my mind and the immediately tense plot kept me going. By chapter 3 I knew I was going to lose sleep in order to get through this book!

Indeed, I did. I read Glamorous Illusions (which isn’t short, by the way) in just over two days. That’s a HUGE feat for me! It’s not that I read slowly, it’s just that I am easily distracted and I like to move on to the another project every hour (haha – or few minutes) or so.

By the end of the book, I was in love with Cora and the journey God is taking her on. I was deeply invested in the relationships she tried to form with her new family and friends. AND it killed me that this is the first in the series and I have to wait for more! :)

This book has everything – high emotions, an understanding of the need for God’s grace and peace to be our foundation in life’s storms, and even some romance (without there being entirely too much). I’d recommend it to anyone needing a break from the mundane (or stressful, or what-have-you), and will love to share it with my own Cora someday.

See more at my blog: http://www.raisingthebarrs.com/2012/0...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Glamorous Illusions.