Kit Grindstaff's Reviews > Acid

Acid by Emma Pass

May 14, 2012

I'm not usually a fast reader but Emma Pass's writing reached out from the pages and pulled me through them. I was hooked from the first moment.

As the title and book cover suggest, this is a gritty read. Set in a dystopian future, ACID is the name of future England's totalitarian government--a government that incarcerates anyone who is a threat to it, even teenagers. Main character Jenna Strong is tough, and doesn't let anybody pull one over on her. We know from word Go why she's behind bars...Ok, not quite from word Go; but suffice to say she's the only gal in a prison full of men, and can more than hold her own. And when a mysterious group breaks her out, the rollercoaster begins...

The cover hints at Jenna's expertise with weapons, and her being a Girl Who Means Business. But what I didn't expect was her heart, the surprising softness that comes through her necessarily hard, survival-bent exterior. This makes her thoroughly likable. She has her wits about her, but also her feelings. The way her back story is revealed is brilliant, dripped in at just the right moment, in just the right amount. I wanted to know it all - the full story behind the crime she can't quite remember committing, more about Dylan, the boy she was with before the book's beginning - and the author kept me hankering after it, while giving me just enough to keep me satisfied. That, along with Pass's talent for cliff hanging chapter endings, adds to the book's compelling nature.

The surprising plot twists kept me on my toes right to the end, which felt satisfying and complete. But then came the enticing tidbit dropped in practically on the last page, screaming "Sequel"! I hope there is one. I'll be ready.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Acid.