Bastard Travel's Reviews > The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups

The Culture Code by Daniel Coyle

One of my favorite books is also called The Culture Code, so I figured I'd try my luck again. It panned out!

Unfortunately, the culture Coyle is talking about is not the interesting kind, with folklore and recipes, but the corporate kind. That would be enough to turn me off in most instances. I/O psychologists are barely better than advertisers, and advertisers don't deserve to sleep indoors. But the studies that Coyle pulls and the conclusions he draws all generalize out of the office and into the parts of life that matter. And it was pretty well written, too.

"Safety" is the take home. The more rigid the hierarchy, the worse the performance. The more comfortable and familial the environment, the more people will collaborate, the better the output and happier the participants. It's not rocket science, but it is actual science, and backed up with a bunch of blind experiments.

Four stars, because that's the highest rating I can give a business book and maintain my integrity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Culture Code.

April 24, 2020 – Shelved