Meri's Reviews > If It Bleeds

If It Bleeds by Stephen King

There really is nothing like a collection of King novellas. They're almost always amazing, and we have a winner with this collection. Ever since the Covid 19 quarantine started in April of this year, I've shied away and/or procrastinated reading current titles or physical copies of books. It's been the reading version of eating mac & cheese inside a burrito - absolute comfort. Apart from a few exceptions, I've either been re-reading Stephen King stories or at least thinking about re-reading them. If It Bleeds was VERY WELCOME. Let's break it down by story:

1. Mr. Harrigan's Phone - classic Stephen King. Creepy and nostalgic.
2. The Life of Chuck - a bit strange and kooky. I enjoyed the first segment more than the second but appreciated the actual Chuck and his motivation.
3. If It Bleeds - this was my favorite of the four. I barely remember Holly Gibney from Mr. Mercedes and haven't read The Outsider yet, but the television version of the character, brilliantly played by Cynthia Erivo, immediately made her one of my favorite characters. A solo story for her was excellent. Bravo, Uncle Stevie!
4. Rat - Well, despite the title, that came out of nowhere and I loved it. You'd think my favorite author would write another tale about a struggling author and it would be lame and predictable. You'd be incorrect.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If It Bleeds.

April 24, 2020 – Shelved