Pei's Reviews > Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure

Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure by Diane Kelly

did not like it

Hated it and only finished to see if it gets any better. It didn't. Have you ever seen/heard/read someone/something where they just try too hard? This book is it. Every single sentence it tries so hard to be funny (or punny) and fails.

Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure is written from a first-person POV. Tara, the main character, wants to appear to be a brave Southern gun-totting tough-talking IRS special agent but in reality is just a self-absorbed woman who manages to link EVERYTHING to how great a shot she is, how great her French manicure is, what awesome abs she has, how much she works out, how great a shot she is, how her job is super-exciting, how much Brett wants her, oh and did I mention what a great shot she is? She brags throughout the whole book about how wonderful she is against everything that is stacked up against her (petite, brunette and small breasts apparently are just some of the bad things she has to overcome) and how she's not an ordinary girl because she's a great shot and a brave person and a special agent who will die for her country collecting taxes but yet she also goes for manicures and dress in sophisticated designer labels. (*puke*)

The rest of the book is bitching about others in the most superficial way, and of course the baddies had to have physical deformities or mental retardation of some sort to make them look unappealing and all the hot, clever people are the good guys. Again, (*puke*).

Oh, you wanted to know about the plot? She's investigating some stuff about an ice-cream man who deals drugs and some big hot-shot with a "shit-eating smile" who cons people with a pyramid scheme. Big yawn with not much suspense or mystery. If we eliminated all the cuss words and repetitive descriptions like the "shit-eating smile" and "acne pockmarked face" and get rid of the repetitions of "I'm such a great shot", there wouldn't actually be that much to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure.

May 14, 2012 – Started Reading
May 14, 2012 – Shelved
May 17, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Huong (new)

Huong Ugh this sounds horrible. Reminds me of the Stephanie Plum books. Barf!

message 2: by VJ (new) - rated it 2 stars

VJ I agree! This was NOT a mystery. I almost want to tell the librarian it needs to be refilled under Romance. Gag.

message 3: by VJ (new) - rated it 2 stars

VJ *refiled. Auto-correct will get me every time.