Cynthia's Reviews > Home

May 14, 2012

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012
Read in May, 2012

A Journey

Frank Money has had a bad war. It’s a few years after he’s returned from Korea and he’s still battling ghosts especially those of the two home town pals he saw die. He’s living with a woman he loves though she’s running out of patience with his frustrating behavior and his inability to find work. Then he gets a cryptic note telling him his beloved younger sister is near death. He sets out to find her. Along the way he suffers flashbacks, racism, inexplicable violence both inflicted on him and that he inflicts on others. He also meets several strangers who treat him kindly and offer help. On his journey he contemplates his childhood and the Georgia town called Lotus that he couldn’t wait to get away from. He wanted away so badly he joined the army. Only his love for his sister makes him determined to go back.

As always Morrison writes beautifully about interesting people. She clarifies male and female outlooks on similar topics and though their focus is different their actions are mostly done out of love. “Home” is a more concrete story than her last several works but it’s no less gorgeous.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Home.

Teresa My copy is scheduled to arrive today!

Cynthia Yay! She's excellent.....once again.

message 3: by ·Karen· (new)

·Karen· Oh great! A new one!

message 4: by Teresa (last edited May 14, 2012 03:36PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "Yay! She's excellent.....once again."

It didn't arrive yet. :( Maybe tomorrow.

message 5: by Cynthia (last edited May 14, 2012 09:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cynthia T I hope you get it tomorrow. I always know when it's sent out of Phoenix or Vegas I'll have it in one or two days.....anywhere else who the heck knows :(.

message 6: by Teresa (last edited May 15, 2012 12:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Teresa Cynthia wrote: "I always know when it's sent out of Phoenix or Vegas I'll have it in one or two days.....anywhere else who the heck knows :(. ... Karen the only problem with this one is it ends too soon. You know a book is good when you're disappointed when it ends and can't settle on another book. Started three others this afternnon and could not get interested. "

It was in Mississippi yesterday; supposedly it's in my city now.

Yes, great sign of a great book!