Don Putnam's Reviews > Dare to Lead

Dare to Lead by Brené Brown

liked it
bookshelves: 2020-books-to-read

A good book - I got some food for thought out of it. Like so many other leadership books I've been reading lately, this is another book in a long string of books that attempts to give people ideas about how to fix problems in business and society. I'm grateful for Brene, who is out there in the arena, getting bloodied, taking it on the chin, getting back up, being more vulnerable, fighting, getting knocked down and repeating the cycle. She's being a good model for so many people who lack philosophy today and need a guide to follow. She's there for millions of people who need to hear her message - and she's resonating. I'm just not so sure she is solving root cause issues.

By the time I got to the ham foldover story, I was kinda tired of thinking "here she goes again." I knew she was going to jump to a conclusion, that she might be a bit irrational, that this was going to be another insight. And sure enough, it was. It felt a big like Goundhog's Day. And I couldn't help wonder: is she really changing for the better? She seems to be fighting the same battles over and over again.

The more I thought of her stories and her suggestions, the more I came to conclude that at the core of her message is philosophy - more specifically, Stoicism. Which is why I guess I was bugged a bit by her jab at stoicism, a few times during the book. I'm glad she at least lower-cased the "S" (search "stoicism vs Stoicism Donald Robertson" to learn). Said differently, a lot of what she was preaching is very aligned with Stoic philosophy.

Which gets me back to my point. There are a lot of people making a name for themselves by simply teaching people to be wise. If our society appreciated wisdom a bit more, maybe we'd be sitting on porches, getting to know each other, being vulnerable, kind and courageous. But instead, we are driven by money, fame and identity. We want to protest and riot in the streets to try to drive change, when instead, we need to sit by ourselves, breath, meditate, read a Stoic book and then spend some time talking to our neighbors.

I think people like Brene are popular because she has striven to be noticed, marketed, popular, seen. She has made an impact on people's lives, however will she just be the next person in a long line to come and go and not make a lasting impact? Will we continue to buy her books, read and listen to them and think we've come away the better for it? My personal opinion is she and others have come and gone; there will be more like her in the future. But nothing really changes for a person until they find philosophy. For my part, I've chosen Stoicism. I hope Brene can open eyes and that people will see that what they really need to search for is Wisdom and they finally begin, in earnest to start the journey to "know thyself."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dare to Lead.

April 23, 2020 – Shelved