Gitte TotallyBookedBlog's Reviews > The Opportunist

The Opportunist by Tarryn Fisher

May 14, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-favourites, read-in-2012
Read from May 15 to 16, 2012

16/05/12: I am too upset to leave a review right now..not even joking..but this has to be one of the most emotional stories EVER, it deeply affected me..That's all for now....More to come when I have processed this story..if I can!

17/05/12: So the above is what I wrote yesterday...I've been processing this book in my head since then..thinking about it..thinking what to write in my review without spoiling it for anyone. I've decided not to add anything to this review for fear of spoiling it for any of you who haven't read it! All I'll add is my final feelings about this book.

This book had me hooked from the start and I can't believe it's a debut novel because it is so well written and the flow between past and present is spot on and builds you up and up through twists and turns to a final emotional gasp out loud finish!

I fell completely in love with Caleb and have to say that other than being totally gorgeous and yummy he had the strength and PATIENCE of a Saint!!! Yes he had flaws but wow what a man!! My heart broke for him so many times and 2 scenes in particular in this book had me walking round with red eye syndrome and spontaneous nose drips for the rest of the day..yeah I KNOW, not a pretty picture (hahaha)!!!

And Olivia...wow..I really did like her. I loved her sarcasm, loved her sense of humour, loved her "this is me if you don't like what you see move on attitude". BUT, she is seriously 'effed up at times, to the point where I wanted to seriously slap her! Again, 2 scenes in particular had me wanting to throw my kindle at the wall and shout "what is wrong with you why did you just do that??"...DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!!!

Seriously, this book is something else; it's filled with honest human emotions, feelings and actions. It is not pretty it is not fluffy, but it is BLOODY AMAZING!! The ending.....well I won't go there but I CANNOT wait for book 2.

Definitely a top 20 of 2012 for me!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Opportunist.

04/19 marked as: read

Happy Ok...you really need to be reading this!!

Happy Good luck and see you over at Maryse's discussion forum! :)

Gitte TotallyBookedBlog Good luck sounds so ominous!!! lol...

Happy LOL, you're just going to need some time to process afterwards. It's hard to let go, especially when you have real life to get back to!

Leslie Gitte!!! Omg, even more emotional than, "Thoughtless?!"

Gitte TotallyBookedBlog YES Leslie!!! Sobbing here..you HAVE to read it!!

Leslie Whoa nelly!! Okie dokie!! How much is it on Amazon?

Christina Holy Cow, ladies. I'm starting when I get home...but I'm already nervous. Bitin' my nails over here!

Gitte TotallyBookedBlog Make sure you have aloe tissues handy if you are a crier like me in emotional books!!

Leslie I hear ya, Christina!! I need to look it up on Amazon right after I finish the book I started last night! I knew this one was intense, but wow, I didn't expect Gitte's reaction!

Gitte TotallyBookedBlog I hope you guys feel the same about this book as I do after all that hahaha..

Leslie No worries, Gitte! I've heard nothing but good things about this book and also know some of the characters are not very likable. It takes a heck of a lot to make me cry when I read, "Thoughtless" being of of those, so, I'll let you know!

Gitte TotallyBookedBlog Well then you will FEEL this one Leslie!!

Leslie Uh oh, Gitte! My pitts are starting to sweat! ;-)

Leslie Okay, Gitte, I just bought the book and am reading it NOW!!!

Brandie I just sat in the pick up lane at my kids school in tears because of this book. I don't know how I am going to be able to wait so long for the next.

Gitte TotallyBookedBlog I know Brandie!!!!

Gitte TotallyBookedBlog Leslie..I want to say enjoy...but...yes enjoy the ride..it's emotional!!

message 20: by Tom (new)

Tom Wow!! This just got a bump.

Alexis *Reality Bites* Tom wrote: "Wow!! This just got a bump."

My thoughts EXACTLY! Hahahahahahahahaha!

Michelle I just finished! I didn't cry...but I am scared it may sneak up on me later...I am emotionally drained!

Gitte TotallyBookedBlog I haven't been able to pick up a new book yet...hahaha what's wrong with me??!! ;0)

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Gitte wrote: "I haven't been able to pick up a new book yet...hahaha what's wrong with me??!! ;0)"

well whatever is wrong with you is wrong with me because I can't either!

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Tom wrote: "Wow!! This just got a bump."

I'm sure you won't regret it Tom!

Gitte TotallyBookedBlog Tom if you read this I'd love your take on it from a bloke's perspective! :0)

Leslie Okay, Gitte...finally, a review!!! It was a good one, too! I only got to 20% last night, but today, my goal is to finish it!! :)

Gitte TotallyBookedBlog Can't wait to hear what you think Leslie and thank you! :0)

message 29: by Jenny - TotallybookedBlog (last edited May 17, 2012 04:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jenny - TotallybookedBlog Great review GG!!!

Oh yeah, there were definitely times Olivia made me want to throw Ken at the wall too. Caleb...the most patiently gorgeous man in book history haha

Rachelle I know we all like to think of Caleb as a saint, but let's remember he is flawed too. :) deliciously so.

Elissande Gitte have you been able to start reading a new book?? let me know, I have not been able to pick another one either, I don't seem to want to at the moment lol

message 32: by Krystal (new)

Krystal every one seems to love this !! but after a few books like sempre, slammed and a few others.. i just can't deal !!! way to emotional, i get too invested and end up an emotional mess for weeks. lol.. i will add this to my TBR list though.. for that one day when i can handle the intensity ! lol awesome review

message 33: by Vallsykes (last edited Jun 02, 2012 01:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vallsykes Rachelle wrote: "I know we all like to think of Caleb as a saint, but let's remember he is flawed too. :) deliciously so."

@ Rachelle: Interestingly enough, I wasn't too won on Caleb. I liked the subtle revealing of his flaws. I didn't like the whole (view spoiler)thing. It was cut short of purpose as to WHY the reader, and Olivia and Caleb, needed to go through that.

Krystal wrote: "like sempre, ... i just can't deal !!! way to emotional, i get too invested and end up an emotional mess for weeks. lol...."
Krystal, I have Sempre on my TBR. I understand being pulled by the emotional strings when you are invested in the characters. I wasn't invested in Olivia. I felt like I met her on the plane, because our seats were together, and she ended up telling me her story in a snarky, "I am a survivor" way; therefore, I couldn't summon sympathy or empathy. LOL, I just shook my head and wished she'd shit or get off the pot.

Gitte wrote:...And Olivia...wow..I really did like her. I loved her sarcasm, loved her sense of humour, loved her "this is me if you don't like what you see move on attitude". BUT, she is seriously 'effed up at times

Hah!, Yeah I sort of rooted for her to get her shit together, but her sarcasm and inner thoughts were terrific. Great review, Gitte. Loved your reaction to this one.

Natasha is a Book Junkie I'm putting this on my "to-read" list just based on your review! Thank you for the friend request ♥

Gitte TotallyBookedBlog You are welcome Natasha and this book will mess with your head..but in a good way ;0)

Tara Jo Finally read this. Had it in my kindle for a while and started it yesterday morning. As soon as I got off work I was back to reading this. Stayed up until 2:30 am to finish!! Then immediately started in Dirty Red this morning! Wow! Can't put this one into words!