Alex's Reviews > How to Be Alone

How to Be Alone by Jonathan Franzen

May 14, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: bastard-protagonists, non-fiction, memoir, new-york

I'll break this down later, but I can't blame Oprah for thinking that Franzen is conflicted: the man's clearly at war with himself, not to mention the rest of society.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Be Alone.

May 14, 2012 – Started Reading
May 14, 2012 – Shelved
May 14, 2012 –
page 7
2.52% "Haha, I forgot how self-important Franzen is outside of fiction. His intro says that he used to be "so angry" - well, given the way he speaks any time he opens his mouth I really don't think that's changed. But let's give this a chance! All aboard the Franzen train to find out whether he's actually a jerk or if it's just that jerks can write good fiction!"
May 14, 2012 –
page 7
May 15, 2012 –
page 80
28.78% "What a curmudgeon this fellow is. Everything in society is weighted with meaning to the point of crushing him, poor guy. (when he speaks on a personal level, like his description of his father's Alzheimer's, things work out better for him)"
May 16, 2012 –
page 100
35.97% "Really not sure what Franzen was aiming for in the Harper's Essay, but he admits he doesn't either. His ideas of society are just so alien. But I'm about to embark on some longform journalism rather than rambling and it shows promise."
May 16, 2012 –
page 100
May 17, 2012 –
page 165
59.35% "Franzen has compared coming out as a smoker to coming out as a homosexual in a conservative family, and said that society feels the same sense of shock and betrayal from both burnt mail and pederasty in the Catholic church. Apart from that the study of the US Postal Service was some good work."
May 17, 2012 –
page 190
68.35% ""I have cash in my wallet, my skin is white, and I feel utterly, utterly welcome.""
May 21, 2012 – Shelved as: bastard-protagonists