Erik This Kid Reviews Books's Reviews > Amethyst Eyes

Amethyst Eyes by Debbie Brown

May 14, 2012

Tommy doesn’t remember his father. He was two when his father left. His mom tells him that his father still loves them, but he can’t be with them. When Tommy’s mother tragically dies in a car wreck, Tommy’s Dad comes to care for him. That’s when Tommy’s life changes completely.

Tommy is whisked away to a space ship and Tommy realizes that his father and everyone on the ship is an alien…and he is half alien! His mother never prepared him for this. Because he is half-alien and half-human, Tommy feels like an outcast. He is even bullied by some of the other kids on the ship. They don’t understand his way of life even though he is trying hard to understand theirs.Tommy’s father loves him very much and helps him to fit in and feel at home and Tommy wants to make this new place his home, but can a half-human kid show the others on the ship that his ways aren’t so different? Tommy also learns of another danger and it has to do with his amethyst-colored eyes - eyes like his fathers. Beings with eyes like Tommy’s have reason to fear for their lives!

This book had a very interesting plot. The story was cool. I really liked how it had a bunch of high-tech gadgets and technology in it. Tommy was the best main character I could want in a book. He was brave, kind, smart and knew how to stand up to bullies. There is some violence but nothing graphic. There’s a creepy part to the plot where these evil aliens want to capture Tommy for his eyes, but it isn’t told in detail and it is only a small part of the plot.I thought the cover art wasn’t the greatest because it’s so dark (you can’t see it too well). The trailer is at the bottom of this post and it’s pretty hard to see too (or at least I think so). I liked how Ms. Brown described Earth and the alien world so well. It was interesting that both worlds had good and bad points. On Earth you have a lot of freedom and can choose to do what you want but there was sickness and violence. On the spaceship, there was no sickness (and supposedly no violence but there still was) but you were pretty much told what to do and what job you would have. It is an awesome action book and has a great message about fitting in.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amethyst Eyes.