Ian's Reviews > The Divorce Club

The Divorce Club by Jayde Scott

May 13, 2012

liked it

I don’t know what to say. So much about this book annoyed me, and yet I stayed up till 1am so I could finish it.

The premise is a bit strange. Sarah, a qualified psychologist starts a business to help women who want to divorce their husbands. She offers advice like, ‘stop shaving your legs’, ‘nag him’ and, ‘put on weight’. So here am I expecting a book about empowerment and women overcoming difficult circumstances and what I get is a book about manipulating men.

When the enigmatic Jamie joins the club things start to go awry for Sarah. She battles her attraction to him while trying to connect with her angry daughter, find out who is stalking her, and provide the 24/7 service she has promised to all the members. Then her sleazy, passive aggressive ex-husband moves back in uninvited and makes himself at home.

The characters in this book are what really kept me going. If it wasn’t for Jamie and some of the other members of the Divorce Club I probably would have walked away.

(view spoiler)

Comparing this book with Molly Harper's And One Last Thing ..., I think Molly Harper's book is better written, positive, and more satisfying. The Divorce Club is oddly compelling, at times I wanted to give up on it but for some reason I couldn't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Divorce Club.

May 13, 2012 – Shelved
June 7, 2012 – Started Reading
June 10, 2012 –
30.0% "She starts a business giving advice to women whose marriages are in trouble. \n The advice she gives is to put on weight and to nag the husband so he files for divorce. Am I the only one who thinks that's a little sick?"
June 10, 2012 –
30.0% "At the moment, this book seems a bit contrived. The one thing that's keeping me in is the enigma of Jamie. I can't figure him out. He's serial killer weird."
June 11, 2012 –
80.0% "Mindy Glances at Jamie. "Can you operate a Canon 50mm f1.8 Camera with a zoom lens?"\n \n This book is a train wreck...I know I should, but I just can't look away. \n \n (oh...50mm and zoom lens are mutually exclusive...just saying.)"
June 11, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Tami (last edited Jun 07, 2012 07:48AM) (new) - added it

Tami Look at you and all these great books you're posting...:-)

message 2: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie Yes, Tami - I've come to realize Ian loves strong female heroines. (Smart man!)

message 3: by Tami (new) - added it

Tami Yes...smart man. I think it's just part of his master plan to build his harem of GR ladies who all crush on him after reading his reviews. ;-)

message 4: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie So right! Although, I think it's already happening. ;)

message 5: by Tami (new) - added it

Tami Leslie wrote: "So right! Although, I think it's already happening. ;)"

Right you are!

message 6: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] I have this book, but haven't read anything by this author yet. I can't wait to hear what you think.

message 7: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian Leslie wrote: "So right! Although, I think it's already happening. ;)"

lol...I sometimes look at my friends list and wonder why there are no Y chromosomes.

Denise ~The Procrastinating Book Diva~ I heard this book was very good. Looking forward to hear what you think.

message 9: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Ian -- in Oklahoma, they are too busy watching Basketball! We are going to the NBA finals this year. Not bad for only have the team 5 years and the players average age being 24!

It is so nice and interesting hearing how the books the XX's enjoy from an XY perspective. Plus, your reviews are always so fun and insightful. Cut to the chase and I like that!

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly This author sounds familiar to me. I think she writes vampire books, Ian. Am I right?

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly BTW, loved your comment on Wendy's status. Cracked me up!

message 12: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Yes. Correctomundo!

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly About the vampire books or about Ian being funny, Michelle?

message 14: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Both actually.

message 15: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Ian always makes me laugh, Michelle. I just tell him every time he does or he might get a big head. LOL!!

message 16: by Tami (new) - added it

Tami I don't get the concept of giving women advice such as 'stop shaving legs', 'put on weight', and 'start nagging' in order to get a divorce. If you want a divorce then pull up your big-girl panties and file for one. Don't do things just to get you husband to want one and file first. A better divorce club would be one where support and help was offered to women who needed help financially to get out of a bad marriage or needed a refuge from an abusive marriage.
Great review, Ian. I think I may still read this one, it's just not that high on my TR list now.

message 17: by Kristen (last edited Jun 12, 2012 08:59AM) (new)

Kristen I've read one or two of these type of books. The ones you dislike but you can't put down. I'm never quite sure what is more annoying, the yucky story or the power it has over me. Lol. Nicely said, Ian!

message 18: by Baba (new)

Baba  Great review, Ian! I think I'll give this one a miss though.

message 19: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle [Helen Geek] Me too Baba. I loved the review, but the book doesn't appeal.