Luna's Reviews > Salvation Station

Salvation Station by Kathryn Schleich

*Book given by the publisher via BookPublicityService in exchange for an honest review*

What I Liked
I will openly admit that thrillers that involve police detectives are normally not my thing, but Kathryn Schleich has managed to write a book I enjoy that deals with a police captain. The I was drawn in within a few pages, you don’t need to wait for the story to start up. This story has a very ghastly murder of two children and their paster father and a mother that has gone missing. One of the threads through this book follow the investigation. The second main thread throughout this book a church in desperate need and starts to follow the direction of one of its members.

The main things that stood out to me was the authors ability to portray the work put in by the police to help solve this crime. It felt like the characters care and really wanted to having this murder solved, not just a plot device and the story continuing. The second thing that stood out to me about the plot was the authors ability to deal with the difficult topic of religion. In this story there is discussion of a church that is cult like and the things those in charge will do for power and esteem.

Now, I don’t want to say much about the plot because this is a thriller and it is best to know the least as possible about it to get the full affect. But, I will say the authors writing was surprising. The effort and talent is apparent in the quality of the writing. There was not a point where I was very aware of a plot-hole or where I felt the characters were, well out of character. This is something many talented authors who have many books under their belt sometimes still struggle with. This thriller flowed nicely and I was not jarred by anything or shaken out of the story.

What I Didn’t Like
Honestly, this point is a very personal thing and I kind of mentioned it above. I am not a huge fan of reading thrillers that deal with police. But, like I said earlier Schleich has still written a book so well that I still liked it quite a bit.

Overall Thoughts
Overall, I found this novel to be very interesting and pulled me in very early on. I really enjoyed the different points of view/perspectives and I felt they were balanced very well. It is common when I read a novel that has various points of view and I feel like I want to skip a section, in this novel I did not want to skip at all. I needed to know everything that was happening. The writing was so wonderful that I want to read more of her works. If you enjoy thrillers I would suggest that you look into this one and see if it is write for you. It was enthralling, page turning, and an all around wonderful thriller.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Salvation Station.

April 21, 2020 – Started Reading