Karen's Reviews > Gathering of Waters

Gathering of Waters by Bernice L. McFadden

1923641
May 13, 2012

Read in April, 2012

This book is a story of endurance, and love and racial tension. I believed this book was fiction until I was describing the death of young Emmett in the novel to my 16 year old daughter and she expressed her surprise that I didn't know the story of Emmett Till. Sadly, these stories were not shared in the 60's and 70's in public school. To know the death of Emmett was a real event made it ten times more horrific. Still, this is not a horror story-it's a beautifully crafted and easily told book of truth and encouraged me to read more by this fabulously talented author. A haunting and powerful book. McFadden writes easily and smoothly. Her honesty is on the surface of every word and life for her characters is one of oppression counter-balanced by passion for life and love. Ironically, I was reading it while on vacation down south and it made the setting feel even more vivid. I am glad our young people are learning these stories so this kind of cruelty and barbarism can hopefully cease.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gathering of Waters.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 2: by T (new)

T Frost Yeah, I'm not how I knew about Emmett Till, probably something on PBS during Black History Month, but it's one of those horrific stories. Interesting sounding book.

Alyce Rocco I went to public schools in the '50s and '60s. I do not remember if that is where I first learned about Emmett Till, but it was the blurb on the book cover mentioning Till that caused me to check it out of the library.