Staci's Reviews > After the Fog

liked it
bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read from May 12 to 15, 2012

1.) Reasons you chose this book
I said yes to a review copy of this one because I loved the author's earlier book, The Last Letter, and was excited to read her sophomore creation.

2.) Reasons you liked or disliked this book
I was very interested in the subject matter of the book and love to read stories that are based in fact. I found myself to be very engaged into the story until around 3/4's of the way through the book and then I just became tired. I have to say too, that I felt all the swearing (I am not a prude by any means) by Rose just felt wrong and I didn't buy into that coming out of a woman's mouth during that time period. A couple of times, sure. But pretty much every encounter with this character....nope. I honestly felt that there was too much going on and it bogged the whole thing down for me. I will admit that I skimmed the last 50 pages or so....sorry!

3.) Reasons you are recommending this book
I really think that sometimes my reading goes off-kilter because of my mood at the time I'm reading the book. For whatever the reason, I just couldn't keep my head in the story. I loved the whole visiting nurse aspect of the story and actually found the mill and the deathly fog interesting. I just wish that the author would have cut the story by about a hundred pages and tightened up the plot.  But with all of that being said, I would read another book by Kathleen even though this one didn't work for me.

Rating: 7/10

Author: Kathleen Shoop
Published: May 8, 2012
Publisher: Create Space
Genre: Historical Fiction
Source: SparkPoint Studio

Disclaimer: Thank you to Kim and SparkPoint Studio for sending me a review copy. I was not compensated for my review. My thoughts on this book were in no way influenced by the author or publicist.They are my personal reflections based solely on MY experience while reading this novel.

Review Book #15
© 2011, Staci of Life in the Thumb. All Rights Reserved. If you reading this on a site other than, Life in the Thumb or Staci's feed, be aware that this post has been stolen and is used without permission.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After the Fog.