Julie 's Reviews > A Good Marriage

A Good Marriage by Kimberly McCreight

bookshelves: 2021, e-book, edelweiss-review, domestic-thriller, psychological-thriller

A Good Marriage by Kimberly McCreight is a 2020 Harper publication.

Lizzie has taken a job with Young & Crane out of necessity after her marriage and finances took a serious hit.

Out of the blue an old friend, Zach Grayson, calls asking for her help. He’s in a bit of a bind after his wife, Amanda, was found dead. Seems he hit a police officer at the scene, and is perhaps the prime suspect in Amanda’s death. Although her firm does not handle criminal cases, Lizzie is given permission to represent Zach- although she’s not exactly thrilled about taking his case.

As Lizzie begins to dig into Amanda’s life, and the affluent enclave she and Zach lived in, she discovers Amanda’s closest friends were into a few unconventional activities, such as open marriages and key parties, for example. Did Amanda participate? Did someone become jealous? What about Amanda’s ambiguous past, or her best friend, Carolyn, a woman no one else has met? And what about Zach? What motive might he have for murdering his wife?

I was expecting the usual domestic thriller set-up with this one, but got a little more than I bargained for. I love Legal Thrillers, and this book has a bit of that included in the story, so that certainly enhanced my enjoyment of this book. The story is also a bit titillating, kind of soapy, but oh so entertaining.

There were a few open- ended threads I would have liked to have been tied up or given a little more explanation- because some avenues seem to just dead end. The exploration of marriage in general, the secrets hidden behind closed doors, the struggles no one else knows about, or the dangerous games people play, was a great backdrop and the way the case intersects with Lizzie’s life was surprising.

Overall, this was a twisty, absorbing, thrill ride- a bit convoluted at times- but I still enjoyed it. This would be a good book to pack in your beach bag this summer!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Good Marriage.

April 20, 2020 – Shelved as: to-read
March 18, 2021 – Shelved as: edelweiss-review
March 18, 2021 – Shelved as: domestic-thriller
March 18, 2021 – Shelved as: psychological-thriller
March 18, 2021 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

Kaceey Fantastic review Julie! Glad you enjoyed!

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! Glad you enjoyed!"

Thanks so much, Kaceey!! 💖

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Nice review Julie ......... I’ve lots of good things about this one over the months :)

Kat (Books are Comfort Food) Excellent review, Julie. I am glad you enjoyed it.

message 5: by Ceecee (new) - added it

Ceecee Great review Julie - this one is on my wish list!! ❤️🌹

Julie Richard wrote: "Nice review Julie ......... I’ve lots of good things about this one over the months :)"

Thanks so much, Richard!! 😊

Julie Kat (Books are Comfort Food!) wrote: "Excellent review, Julie. I am glad you enjoyed it."

Many thanks, dear Kat!! 💖

Julie Ceecee wrote: "Great review Julie - this one is on my wish list!! ❤️🌹"
Thanks so much, Ceecee!! I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this one! 💖

message 9: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Glad you enjoyed it, even thought not what you were expecting. Nice review, Julie.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie Great review, Julie. Got my interest.

Julie Angela M wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it, even thought not what you were expecting. Nice review, Julie."

Thanks so much, Angela!! 💖

Julie Katie wrote: "Great review, Julie. Got my interest."

Many thanks, Katie!! 💖

message 13: by Suzy (new) - added it

Suzy Excellent review Julie! 😍

Julie Suzy wrote: "Excellent review Julie! 😍"

Thanks so much, Suzy!! 💖

JanB I’m glad you enjoyed this one...perfect description Julie, and excellent review!

Julie JanB wrote: "I’m glad you enjoyed this one...perfect description Julie, and excellent review!"

Thank you very much, Jan!! 💖

message 17: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Glad you enjoyed it Julie, excellent review ♥️

message 18: by Tina (new)

Tina Sounds like a good one! I still have to read her, "The marriage lie." Great review Julie 🙌

Julie Maureen wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it Julie, excellent review ♥️"

Thank you very much, Maureen!! 💖

Julie Tina wrote: "Sounds like a good one! I still have to read her, "The marriage lie." Great review Julie 🙌"

Thanks so much, Tina!! 💖

Michelle I enjoyed this one too. Terrific review, Julie! 🧡

Julie Michelle wrote: "I enjoyed this one too. Terrific review, Julie! 🧡"

Thanks so much, Michelle!! Glad you enjoyed this one too! 💖

message 23: by Kat (new)

Kat A slightly soapy thriller sounds fun! Excellent review, Julie!

Julie Kat wrote: "A slightly soapy thriller sounds fun! Excellent review, Julie!"

Thank you very much, Kat!! It was fun! 💖

message 25: by Kimber (new)

Kimber Silver Another wonderful review, Julie! :-)

Julie Kimber wrote: "Another wonderful review, Julie! :-)"

Thanks so much, Kimber!! 💖