Miranda (M.E.) Brumbaugh's Reviews > Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

5361901
May 13, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction, books-read-2012, favorite-reads, biographical
Read from May 13 to 21, 2012

I wanted to read this book for the cultural aspects of the pre-Hispanic Mexicans and to learn about the crazy people who participate in ultramarathons. I walked away from it with an appreciation for Christopher McDougall as a wonderful and creative writer, as well as a lot more information regarding the social and medical history of humans as runners. What an inspirational and well written book!! Two of the most impressive things I've learned from this book:

1. Watching my son run is the best way to learn how to correctly run myself. My 3-year-old speed demon on two legs has the Tarahumara way down pat! In fact all little kids do, it's the adults who get lazy and stiff.

2. Go barefoot! It's the natural way humans were meant to walk and run. Forget spending $100 bucks on a pair of running kicks. In fact, the more you spend the worst off you are! Kick the cushioning gel soles and microchip self-correcting inserts to the curb. Thanks Christopher McDougall.

I would suggest anyone who is interested in reading a terrifically written, nonfiction, inspirational health-based cultural expose meant to teach someone the history and method of marathon running should be reading this already.

10 Stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born to Run.

Miranda (M.E.) Brumbaugh I've been wanting to read this book for a year after listening to a story about it on NPR last summer; so far it has exceeded my expectations. The Tarahumara...wowsers! They are simply amazing. This book is a combo of cultural anthropology and fitness, and very interesting to say the least.

message 2: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Hi, Miranda!!

Excellent review, as always.:) Thank you.