Jeane's Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

Sep 15, 2008

bookshelves: library, spring-challenge-09, italy, india
Read from October 11 to 19, 2010 — I own a copy

Before writing what I thought about this book, I want to say that I didn't buy it because of the hype around it. I bought it because it is situated in different countries, it has traveling in it and above all, it is partly set in Italy. Besides this, I read it as a normal book, just like any other book.

I really like the title and how it is linked and to which countries. The author couldn't have taken a better part of the title than 'eat' for Italy. I didn't focus too much about her search in life, her emotional problems but instead enjoyed completely her story, anecdotes, funny stereotypes. And I enjoyed so much being taken through Italy, eat gelato, ... . India was wonderful in his own way and Bali was great as 'love'. So I actually really enjoyed this book.
A nice thing was that the author wrote also about historical things, gave explanations about the origins of words, .... .

Yesterday evening I went to watch the movie. I heard a lot of negative things about it but went to watch it not thinking about the book and again enjoyed it too. It isn't a high level movie, but a nice story. And the Bali healer in the movie is as great and funny as in the story.
if you see the movie after reading the book you might be a bit dissapointed if you compare. Many parts were left out, also nice parts, and of course pressed together to fix all in the movie. You have to try not to wonder about the parts that normally happen after a certain situation, in the book, because you might feel like you are watching a trailer.

So in the end, both book and movie were not high level but very nice and relaxing. A story to enjoy yourself.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.

10/11/2010 page 5
1.0% "Read the first pages and loved it!"
10/16/2010 page 196
59.0% "Finished the Eat part, started the pray."
show 1 hidden update…