Emily's Reviews > The Forgotten Waltz

The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright

The Gathering, Enright's Booker Prize winning book, will be my next read. I am a sudden and delighted discoverer of Enright's gloriously poetic, understated prose. As we move back and forth in time inside the narrator's mind, slowly emerges a portrait of a certain set of Irish people in boom time and in bust. The narrator remembers her first glimpse of the man who would be the love of her life, (at a party where everyone was part of a couple). IN a fragmentary way, we suffer through a parent's dementia and early death, the way their respective marriages broke up, and running through the story, a portrait of a small girl who is different....as she writes in the beginning, "...the fact that a child was mixed up in it all made us feel that there was no going back; that it mattered. THe fact that a child was affected meant we had to face ourselves properly, we had to follow through." It's always good to reread the beginning after finishing a book, after making that journey. Did the author, in fact, succeed in doing what she set out to do? Did the players in this drama figure out how to become the adults, in this child's life? Did the narrator remember, in the end, the child comes first?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgotten Waltz.