Jon's Reviews > Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right

Sep 15, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: not-worth-reading
Read in September, 2008

The truly unfortunately thing about this book is that she does have some very interesting and valid points. Unfortunately, she makes repeated blanket statements such as:
· “Liberals are driven by Satan and lie constantly.”
· “Liberals love to lie.”
· “Liberals hate religion because politics is a religion substitute for liberals and they can't stand the competition."

This destroys all her credibility because it reduces her to just another polemic who is trying to shake things up and irritate people.

Furthermore, she does everything she can to widen the “us-and-them” gap in a world where we really need to learn how to work together dispite our political (or religious, or phylosophical) views. No one honestly holds their personal beliefs because they’re evil or want to take everything for themselves. We all hold our personal political philosophies because they follow what we feel is best for the nation and will benefit those we care about.

I am a liberal and read this book hoping to better understand a conservative viewpoint. Instead, I found myself trying to debate a book that was filled with blanket statements, quotes used out of context and repeated namecalling.

If you want to change people’s opinions, I’d recommend doing it intelligently. Not dropping down to the childish misrepresentations that you constantly complain the left is doing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slander.

03/14/2016 marked as: read

Phil Oh, good GOD.

You can't read a statement like "Liberals are driven by Satan and lie constantly" and detect exaggeration for the sake of comedy?

Methinks you're illustrating one of the other blanket statements she makes: liberals have no sense of humor.

For the record, I have never, ever, encountered a leftist who does not automatically respond to criticism of the left by declaring, "You're not talking about MEEEEEE. NONE of us are like that! Straw man! Blanket statements!"

It's what you guys say -- in order to prevent any meaningful discussion of what you do or what you believe. You may not believe that's why you do it, but you all do it, and that's the only reasonable explanation for it.

Also for the record, I refuse to use the word "liberal" about your odious, political grouping, since there is nothing liberal about any of you.