Kadidja May's Reviews > The Initiation

The Initiation by L.J. Smith

liked it

I only read this because I started watching the CW series which really drew me into the storyline. However, the TV show is completely different, as the book only seems to function as a basic set-up for it.

My thoughts on the first part of the book series: It's a fast read, quite a page-turner. But its writing style - oh my. Some parts are just repetitive and there's a clear overuse of adjectives. Its tone isn't much better either. I mean some parts were really great, but others - way too over-dramatic.

I also didn't like the characterization. Personally, and that might be just my opinion, I think there are too many characters in the book. I can see why the writers of the TV show decided to cut down to 6, instead of having 12. This led to a very poor and flat characterization in the book. Basically, every character is described by their hair. I swear, I bet Diana's hair was described as "moonlight and sunlight woven together" at least five or six times. I get it, she's pretty. And Cassie's obsession with her, it's almost adoration. Slightly creepy. The same goes for the "love" scene between her and Adam. Talk about rushing into things.

And despite all of this, I still kinda liked the book. Maybe because I'm such a fan of the show. And I'm a sucker for all things magic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Initiation.

May 13, 2012 – Started Reading