Shivani Chauhan's Reviews > Larger Than Life

Larger Than Life by Adele Parks

liked it

So this happens to be one of those books whose cover instantly drew my attention towards it. I’m intrigued by pretty book covers and old and decaying pages. My mind automatically opens up to possibilities, and in this case, I was reimagining it to be a chick lit romantic fiction. But it was much more than what I’d expected.

Larger than Life by Adele Parks is a story that centres around Georgina a.k.a George who develops feeling of love quite early in life. Her life has always been about setting and planning goals both in personal as well as professional life. She is driven and ambitious about her job in an advertising firm, and aims high to climb up the corporate ladder. The book invites a reader to explore the journey of Georgina when she decides to chase the man of her dreams again, who is now already married with two kids.

First of all, the strands of humor are very well ingrained in the narration which appealed to me till the end. They are well-timed and make it a light read.  The story line is convenient and predictable, but elements of compassion, understanding are noticeable through dynamics of friendship in the book.

The main character is the heart and soul of the story. In spite of her eccentricities and disagreeable choices, the author manages the reader to remain emotionally invested throughout George’s journey. The entire transformation of the protagonist over the course of her exploits is heart-warming to read. Also, there are excerpts that manifest how brainstorming and campaigning hold importance in the advertising world, which was interesting.

This turned out to be a pleasant change, after devouring some mysterious and thought provoking books. I liked the whole concept of the story that how a woman’s life turns upside down during pregnancy. The physical changes are definitely visible, but battling an emotional hurricane is the real challenge.

Personally for me, the most important insight from the book, was to find your intentions and stick to your own values and opinions, even while being in love or relationship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Larger Than Life.

Finished Reading